Our little family has been visiting our bigger family on the east coast this week, and while my Jack has dominated my suitcase, I managed to pack my makeup essentials while still leaving room for some creativity and variation. If you are traveling or just wanting to have a limited makeup kit that allows for a bunch of different looks, here are my must haves:
- Primer. This is essential because it really helps your face last all day. A lot of primers are offered in smaller travel sizes, which can be ideal for traveling and saving space. My favorite traveling primer has been Smashbox's photo finish primer, because it gives my skin a super smooth canvas no matter what the different weather may be doing to my skin.
- Foundation. My every day go to has been Maybelline's Fit Me foundation, the Dewy + Smooth kind. While my higher end fave has been Makeup Forever's HD foundation, I've found that this drug store dupe gives me great coverage while still giving that dewy glow.
- Concealer. Maybelline's Fit Me concealer has also been a must have for traveling - it's compact, the coverage is on par with my higher end concealers, and best of all- the lightest shade is totally compatible with my super fair skin.
- Powder. Connecticut has been super muggy this trip, and I am so glad I have my RCMA no color powder. This powder is seriously not colored - even when I use it on my darkest skinned clients, it doesn't turn ashy. A little bit goes such a long way, and I love that it doesn't dry my skin out like some matte powders do.
- Brows. You feel me? Anyone who has seen me without brows understands my desire to fill them in - while I may have the brow hair, the pigmentation is just not there. Colourpop Cosmetics has come out with some *fabulous* brow pencils this year that are the perfect amount of waxiness, color range, and best of all - super skinny pencils, and takes up almost zero room in my makeup kit.
- Bronzer. My go to will always be Benefit's Hula bronzer. It is compact, matte, and the perfect bronze to work with any medium to fair skin tone. I also love that it has a mirror, and comes with the perfect mini brush for application.
- Blush. I look dead without it. NARS made an amazing blush compact that has 3 of their best selling blushes in it, along with a golden highlight. This compact has helped me look more alive than I have ever felt after traveling!
- Eyeshadow palette. So many eye palettes offer a variety of looks with all of the colors offered. My favorite lately has been my Anastasia Beverly Hills' "Self Made" palette. Not only does ABH have AMAZING shadows - the pigmentation is kind of unreal - but the variety of colors leaves little to be desired, and endless possibilities.
- Mascara. Waterproof is foolproof if you are going to be in more humid climates or around water. Rimmel is my ride or die, out of the so many brands I have tried.
- Lip color. This is where it is good to be selective, because it is really easy to rationalize that 20 lipsticks are all uniquely necessary - limit yourself, and if you need more than one, pick your go to nude, a medium, maybe pink shade, and a bolder shade. This way you can create a variety of looks without taking your entire kit overseas with you.
I hope these travel makeup tips help you on your next vacation! What is YOUR must have beauty product for traveling??